There's no wrong or right answer. In this video, Samuel Leeds discusses his thoughts on whether it's a good idea to invest in flats. There are numerous things to consider but here's a quick breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of buying flats.
Why should you invest in flats?
- It's relatively cheap
- It's easy to research (there are so many comparisons available, since the flat will be part of a block) and this mean it is easy to work out what's a good deal
- They are low maintenance (most facilities are all-shared, the building isn't your responsibility, the garden is communal)
Why shouldn't you invest in flats?
- The capital appreciation of flats is quite poor
- It's hard to sell because people who live in flats prefer to rent them. If you wanted to sell it, your best bet would be an investor and they would not want to pay full price.
- There is a service charge and ground rent – it's scary because you can't predict what that charge might be in the future!
If you are going to buy a flat, do you research, work out your ROI, find out about service charge and ground rent – be super careful.